Tuesday, October 5, 2010

One Fish Two Fish

Foul. In a good way. There is no other way to describe this spring break trip.  It was 10 days in Queensland with 50 mostly American college students, despite one French person, a Canadian, and a few Brits. We started the vacation with a night in Brisbane. We didn't do much except go out to a hostel bar and prepare for the remaining 9 days ahead of us. We started the real trip at the Australian Zoo. The late crocodile hunter, Steve Erwin, and his family created the zoo and still run it to this day. I saw elephants, tigers, komodo dragons, koalas, pythons, and Bindi. It was a fun, calm day. After the zoo we headed towards Hervey bay and Fraser Island. It was a nice ferry ride to Fraser Island and we saw some beautiful beaches and ship wrecks.  We swam in a fresh water beach where no animals lived because the water came from the rain, and it was too acidic.  It was amazing. The weather wasn't the best though. After that adventure we headed towards Airlie beach and hung out in the hostel.  On the way there we had a party on the bus where we slapped goon bags and got disgusting. The next day we headed to the Whitsunday Islands. By far my favorite and most beautiful part of the trip. We spent 3 days and 2 nights on an island with an incredible view and beach. We jumped off peers and wore nothing but sheets and plastic for two nights (the parties were themed).  We enjoyed the beach, jumped off of the peer, swam and relaxed by the pool, and took part in lots of inebriation. Don't worry mom and dad, I was good :) I did lose my shoes though, but it didn't matter because we were on sand. Walking around barefoot for three days was found to be quite freeing. I have to say, I have never seen beaches quite so clear and blue. It really was paradise.  After our few days there, we headed towards Carins for white water rafting, bungee jumping, scuba diving, and sky diving, or so I thought. White water rafting was a blast and we went on level 4 rapids! It is something I definitely want to do again. We continually flipped our boat ran into rocks (that's normal). Bungee jumping was also a great time.  I was terrified looking down, but then I just dove and it was one of the greatest feelings I have ever felt. It will for sure be done again.  The next day we went scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef, or at least I planned on scuba diving.  After I filled out my form and turned it into the instructor, I was told I would be unable to dive because I am a diabetic. I tried arguing to them that going 15 ft. under the water would not affect anything, but they still required a doctors note. I wish I knew that! I signed up for this trip 3 months ago so I would of had plenty of time to go see a doctor. O well, I still had a great time snorkeling. I went just as deep as the divers and saw the same things, I was just unable to breath. Sky diving was next on the agenda. It was one of the things I wanted to do most on the trip. When we got into Carins, it did not stop raining. Yes, we were in the rain forest, but we couldn't even get an hour without it raining! I was so disappointed, but I am going to New Zealand soon and it will definitely be done there. 14,000 feet! While we were in Carins we just went out every night to local pubs and rallied with our friends. I even got the opportunity to sign up for a wet tee-shirt contest! Don't worry, I didn't participate.
All in all, this trip was amazing. It was a once in a life time sort of thing and it got that stereotypical college spring break adventure out of my system.  I don't think I can handle 10 days of insobriety again and as hard as it is to adjust to real life, I'm happy for it.  It was the best vacation of my life, though.


















I can't believe I only have two weeks of class left! And then exams!!! I'm not ready. Time has gone by way to fast. If you have not heard already, I am due to come back the 26th of November.  Before then, I will be going to Sydney and New Zealand, and perhaps Tasmania and/or Perth. I don't think I have ever done some much traveling in a short period of time, plus have exams and papers to write! It is so overwhelming, but when am I going to get the opportunity to do this again? There is a part of me that is excited to come home. Australia has become so familiar too me now, that coming home will actually be a change. It will be interesting to see how much has changed. Well it is late and I am off to bed. I have bug bites all over my body and it has been so hard to sleep! I hope all is well and I miss you guys! <3 Samantha
P.S. Watch my bungee video! My screams do sound like I am being brutally murdered, but I swear, I enjoyed myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment